Tuesday, April 22, 2008

They have arrived.


The day has come. The day I wait for from early October till late April.
My first watermelon of the year.
I could (and have) eat a whole watermelon all by myself. All through the winter I see the tiny ones that look like a little green Nerf balls. Sometimes I smell them to see if there is any fragrance to remind me of the best days of eating. But I always wait. I want a big one. Seeds or no seeds, they are all such a treat.
Rereading this makes me wonder if I might be a little obsessed with this perfect fruit, but I'd rather consider it more of a passion. Who wouldn't be in awe of such a wonderful creation?
This watermelon was delicious and I can't wait for them to even get better as the season progresses.
So here is a salute to the Lycopene packed, juicy perfection we call watermelons.

10 comments:

Bobbi said...

I too could eat an entire watermelon.(give me a few days) They are even better with a little salt! YUMMMMMM

Audrey said...

Watch out Kroger... you will be seeing a whole lot more of little miss Cassie. She has to have a back up one when the other melon is getting low, cuz ya can't run out completely!!
I actually think you should post how to pick a good one. I have never met anyone that picks as many good ones as you do.... I only bought one last year and it sucked.. maybe that is why I only bought one?!

Lucy said...

you do sound obsessed with the watermelon. I do love a good one, but like Audrey, mine are few and far between. We need to learn more about the purchasing process!

Becky said...

Okay,Cass, where's the watermelon? After that workout today, I need a whole sweet, juicy, cold-from-the-fridge pile of watermelon!

Cassie said...

Come on over! That one is gone, but the next one is even better. mmmmmm - got to go....ummmm, something I need to do........

SHELLY said...

I JUST BOUGHT TWO TODAY! AND GARY IS IN WASHINGTON DC!

Becky said...

First Kite flying and now watermelons... You're just trying to make us jealous!! It's working and that melon looks delicious!!

Mardi said...

I am with you Cas - love that watermelon. We've had a few already from the farmer's market and they've been delicious. Chris doesn't eat much of it, so I only buy halves to prevent the rest from spoiling. And what a healthy treat! YUM

Anonymous said...

I followed your example and bought one today. I hope it is good. I may have to invite someone over to help eat mine. EB

Becca's Blog said...

Yay, bring on the watermelons! By this time of year I don't want to even see another apple, orange or banana. I had mission companion that only liked the outside part of the watermelon...like where it gets pink to even white. I, of course, prefer just the heart of the watermelon. I wish she was still around because that was the perfect watermelon sharing relationship...oh and you could buy a whole watermelon for about 50cents in Argentina. I miss that too. It still sounds good though...maybe I'll buy one today.