

This is how I know summer is almost over....

Lots of swimming. It was good to see Mitch enjoy himself this year. He's been a little (okay, a lot) scared of water till now. I must share a story.
We had a fun day playing in the mud. Is there anything more fun? Looks like Todd & his buddy Jonathan already cleaned up but Mitch and Judd are still covered head to toe. It must have been cold to clean off.
Anther really fun time was the day before school started. On August 19th Josie hosted the neighborhood children to a Coleman Back-Yard Olympics. She had laminated signs at each event station (about 10 of them). There was shot put, javelin, a triathlon (bike ride, running, end in the kiddy pool), and discus throw to name a few of the events. Here are some photos. They ended with an awards ceremony (medals made from canning lids) and lunch. She did such an awesome job and had the kids separated into age groups so they all had a chance to do well. It was enjoyed by all.



Now we are back in school. Josie is in the 8th grade, Todd is in the 6th grade, Mitch is in the 2nd grade, and Judd is still home with me. He watches the clock so he can be ready when "his friends" get home.
Summer was fun.
*school is back in session
*there are too many tomatoes and pears on my counter
*the garden is getting empty
*canning supplies haven't been put away for a couple weeks
*my boys are picking apples 

We had a great summer and here are a couple of highlights...

Lots of swimming. It was good to see Mitch enjoy himself this year. He's been a little (okay, a lot) scared of water till now. I must share a story. Last year we talked him into jumping off the diving board with his swimming class. So it was his turn and he got to the edge of the board. His teacher was in the water waiting for him. It became obvious that he wasn't going to jump. I was across the pool so I walked over there, yelling at him to jump. After about FIVE minutes everyone at the pool was chanting "Mitch, Mitch, Mitch...". I was yelling at him at this point and bribing him with DQ. The next thing we knew he is on his hands and knees. Then some how, and to this day I don't know how this happened, he was holding on the board with his fingers and toes. Yes, he was now underneath the diving board hanging on, like a monkey. I was more than mad and embarrassed and he was scared to death. His teacher finally peeled his toes off and he hung there by his fingers till he finally lost feeling in them. At that point I gathered up all the kids and we went home.
This year we are proud to announce that Mitch jumped off the diving board several times (with his teacher waiting for him, and yes, it was the same teacher) and down the slide all by himself! Yay Mitch!
One more swimming note. I got smart this year and put Judd in a life jacket as soon as we would get there. Last year I had to pull him from the bottom of the pool TWICE. Did I mention I was fully clothed both times? Wow, he could jump in there fast! I didn't have a chance.


We had a fun day playing in the mud. Is there anything more fun? Looks like Todd & his buddy Jonathan already cleaned up but Mitch and Judd are still covered head to toe. It must have been cold to clean off. Anther really fun time was the day before school started. On August 19th Josie hosted the neighborhood children to a Coleman Back-Yard Olympics. She had laminated signs at each event station (about 10 of them). There was shot put, javelin, a triathlon (bike ride, running, end in the kiddy pool), and discus throw to name a few of the events. Here are some photos. They ended with an awards ceremony (medals made from canning lids) and lunch. She did such an awesome job and had the kids separated into age groups so they all had a chance to do well. It was enjoyed by all.



Now we are back in school. Josie is in the 8th grade, Todd is in the 6th grade, Mitch is in the 2nd grade, and Judd is still home with me. He watches the clock so he can be ready when "his friends" get home.
Summer was fun.


7 comments:
How neat! My summer was just a big blurr. I wish I had taken the time to note some of the fun things we've done. Thanks for sharing!
Summer fun is great. I remember when our teacher would have us tell what we did in the summer when I was in the 4th grade. Your kids would have some fun stuff to tell! (I was kind of stumped that year in the 4th grade...but remembered we did camp out at Birch Creek once)
What a fun summer. They seem to go by so fast. We enjoyed seeing what you family is up to. Everyone is getting so big. And I am definately going to have to try your recipe. I am always looking for a good treat.
I will never tire of that story about Mitch and the diving board. I laugh until I'm crying. I love Mitch! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
I can just imagine poor little Mitch just hanging on that diving board for life! too funny--
I am soooo jealous of your beautiful pears. I am going to buy some pretty quick to can. I canned 16 pints of pickeled beets yesterday. Yay for me.
Josie should use that Olympics for her Y.W.'s project. What a ambitious girl. You guys had a Great summer. And now it's almost gone. :(
Hey Ya. I forgot to tell you that I never heard the diving board story. Loved it, though. I'd better go tell Dad.
sooooo uh, Josie organized the olympics? wow. go jos! proud of ya.
(& when i was reading that story about Mitch my heart was beating so fast and i started to feel all tense and a little shaky. poor guy. i can understand the feeling--i'm quite a little chicken myself.)
Post a Comment