Saturday, July 25, 2009

Our Amazing Moments of July & a Contest

*This is my most amazing thing in July.*
As many of you know, I like to cook. What you may not know is that I don't love to bake.
And on the top of my list of things I don't feel like I do very well is
PIES.
Well, to my amazement, last night at the 24th of July picnic I won the
Pie Baking Contest!
It still makes me giggle because I DON'T MAKE PIES!
This is not the exact one, but it was a fresh peach pie. It was gone before I got the camera out. But, Layne did request another one today.

We've been letting the boys & Josie drive the truck around our "farm".
We have 16 acres of field so and we like to spend time over there, as we wait for our current house to sell. Know of anyone that wants to buy a great house?
Justin only runs the wheel, but he does good. Until he takes a sharp left. That's a little scary.

Mitch does a good job too. Petals and all.


Here is a pic of our place.
Home Sweet Home
someday.



The boys (including their dad) like to set up targets and practice their shooting on the 'farm' too.

Justin calls it the farm, but I've always wanted to name our house/place. So here is a great opportunity. Give me some awesome ideas and whoever wins gets a great prize from the great state of Ohio.

Some details to help your creativity:
We'll have cows,
a horse or two,
chickens,
gardens,
fruit trees,
alfalfa field,
Layne will for sure plant Quaking Aspens (his fav),

there are TONS of deer,
our last name is Coleman,
oak trees...

*Can't wait to see what you might come up with*


We have a few trees, mostly oak, along the fence line. This one amazes me. I love looking at it. It is huge. Layne's arms don't even make it 1/2 way around and that is about 6 feet of arm length. We need to remember to take our measuring tape out there next time and find out how big this tree is. Layne sees $$ signs or beautiful floors in our house. I say NO WAY. That thing is at least a hundred years old and still healthy. It stays put.



Several summers ago I was at my Aunt Grace's house. I fell in love with her row of Hollyhocks. I planned on getting some Hollyhocks growing at my house. Well, this is the last summer at this house (I hope) and I finally got the Hollyhocks planted.
They remind me of my Grandma Simmons. She always had some in her flowerbed and we'd play dolls with them. I love showing little girls how to make dolls out of hollyhocks.



And last, but not least, this is what Todd does when he's not busy.

Poor Mitch.

9 comments:

Becca's Blog said...

That pie looks delicious. I could sure go for a peach right now.

How about Coleman Croft for the name of your little farm. Maybe it is too hard to say. I'll let you know if I think of anything else.

Bobbi said...

I LOVE your 'farm'. That would be a boys' dream come true. You could have your very own baseball game right in your own backyard! Justin looks so tiny hugging that tree. I hope someone finds your house soon!!

Lucy said...

How about Tara? Oh ya, that one's taken. (My favorite show by the way)
I'm thinking either:
"Big Oak Farm"
or
Circle C Farm.....then your brand can be circle C
Do they still have brands?
The pictures are great....I love that you won a pie baking contest, and I'm feeling so chlostrophobic just looking at that picture of Mitch!

Lucy said...

Be sure to consider my ideas....I really want the prize.

Becky said...

That pie was great! Where's the recipe. Name? If I ever has a moment of inspiriaton I'll pass it along. At the moment, we call it "Coleman's New Place".

Becca's Blog said...

My mom is making fun of Coleman Croft! Croft=small farm. At least mine makes sense!

Houses/farms are hard to name I think. Good luck!

Battfam said...

Sorry. I can't help you out with a name for your farm. I've been trying to think of a name for our place for about 20 years now and still haven't come up with anything just right. I will say congrats about the pie and that I love all the pictures you took of your new place. Definitely keep the tree, but don't put your house too close. You don't want to have to worry about limbs falling on it during an ice storm or something. That would be scary.

Battfam said...

Okay, so Becca and I must be bored, but we are working on this name thing for you. I looked up names of English Manors. They were all too snobby sounding. Maybe we shouldn't have been using our British accents. Then I looked up the names of American farms. I was surprised how many had the word "ass" in them. No wonder the Brits think we Americans have no class. Anyway, the best we could come up with is "Old Oak Farm" or Quaking "Ass"pen Farm. Maybe we should go to bed now.

hmmm said...

i love that you freaking won! that's my favorite thing ever. (and i think it's funny that mitch let todd burry him up to his ears. big brothers can talk little brothers into anything.)