Saturday, November 5, 2011

Will Work for Food

Good ol' Layne.  He's always busy with some project of his.  And most of the time he ropes Todd into working along with him.  (Todd secretly loves it though.)  I like to make him something special when he gets something accomplished off of the never-ending to-do list.

This time he chose to build the dog & cat condo.  It is starting to get chilly outside and since I refuse to have a house dog and he officially kicked the cat out last spring (won't go into why) he figured he'd better keep them comfy cozy this winter.

You can see the insulation here between the walls.  You can also see the 'sleeping area' and the 'front porch' area where they eat their food.



Top door is for Cat and bottom is for Jimmer.

And here is the final product. 
Wall to wall carpet inside the bedrooms and door flaps on both the inside and outside doors so no yucky wind, snow, or rain can ruin these two's night sleep.

Can you see Cat looking out?  There is a ledge where she can jump up to so she can walk in.  Before that was installed I thought she was going to have to just take a running leap and pray she hit the hole.  But Layne had the plans in his head and he built her a ledge to leap on.


Here is the front door open so you can see in their food area. 


Another project he decided to do this week was build the mantel in the living room. 
One year ago this week we started to move in this house.  It is really nice to see the fireplace area finished.  (I didn't mind that it took that long.  I was happy that so much got done out in the yard this spring & summer.)

Now I need to dig in some totes downstairs and get it decorated.
He did an awesome job.  Thanks Layne!

So this leads me to today's thank you lunch.
Around August I decided that I needed to try my hand at making my own tortillas.  Now that is all my family wants to eat.  Flour or corn, they don't care.  They just love them and eat them all when I make them.  Then when Holly (my sister in law) came to visit she showed me how to make the yummiest refried beans EVER and I will never eat those out of a can again.  Some things just taste better homemade, and more often than not, more healthy too.
So when I want to say thank you (or just when a taco or a burrito sounds good) I like to grill a steak and serve our favorite Mexican lunch.

After a few times rolling my own I bought a tortilla press because it is way easier and way way faster.
Throw them on a hot, dry griddle and in a few minutes life is great.




I can't wait to see what is next on the to-do list.  I did see a lot of dry wall being hauled to the basement this morning.....hummm 

Eat something healthy & yummy today!
(and share what it was in case I want some too)


3 comments:

Mardi said...

How brilliant on the combo dog/cat house! You are wonder-woman! Homemade tortillas and refried beans? I wish I could eat at your house! (We have the same green kitchen towels, by the way.)

Battfam said...

I'm very impressed with Layne's projects and your cooking. Those tortilla presses look great. Maybe I'll drop a hint for Christmas.

Lucy said...

I love the cat/dog house. I am still giggling thinking about that cat getting a run at it and hoping it hit the hole before the ledge was added! Wow, that struck me funny.
And I really want to try homemade tortillas and refried beans too. yum.
And I know where those green towels came from :)