Monday, July 30, 2012

Shopping from the garden.




It is that time of year that a large part of our meals come from our backyard.


Layne in his favorite hide-out, behind the tomatoes.
All of that goat manure that Layne & Todd hauled last fall...five truck loads...from our friend's goat farm (Thank you Baker family!) sure payed off.  Those tomato plants are tall.


The boys, this past weekend, bringing up the potatoes.


This years varieties:  Red Pontiac & Cobbler


Looks like this cucumber evaded two or three pickings.
(nice pose Mitch)



My canning list is getting a few things checked off.  Still, lots of work to be done.

freezer jam - raspberry
freezer jam - black berry
sweet cucumber relish
pickled beets
beans
peaches
salsa
pasta sauce
stewed tomatoes
diced tomatoes
sweet & sour sauce
pears
cherries
frozen corn
grape juice

We had some corn for lunch yesterday, and it was yummy.  So I think that will be the next item to cross off the list.  I love restocking our bottles and freezer.  It looks so pretty and makes me so happy.

A few more weeks and the acorn squash will be ready and I'm still waiting to let you know how the sweet potato project turned out for us. 
Now Layne is getting ready to get his 'fall garden' planted.  I'm so thankful he loves to garden.



The other big project for the summer was getting some pasture fenced in.

It was A LOT of work.  Layne and Todd worked (and sweated) their tail-ends off.
It didn't help that this is one of the hottest summers we've had in nearly 10 years. 
We took out lots of cold water and they came in for breaks in the AC. 

Justin & Mitch even chipped in when they could.


Getting the post holes cleaned out.


I'm not sure if they are all working or all watching.


For those that have been trying to visualize this project:
Looking South (toward the tree swing)


Looking North


Looking North-East


Having the fence up has really changed how the property looks.
I love it.

Layne, you rock!




7 comments:

Battfam said...

Wow, you've all been so busy and accomplished a lot. You all rock!

Becca's Blog said...

I'm so jealous of all your garden food. Yum! If I lived closer I'd come raid your garden at night!

Cassie said...

Becca, you wouldn't even have to sneak. If you lived closer I'd just invite you for dinner. <3

Becca's Blog said...

And if I lived closer I'd take you up on that since I hear you're an excellent cook!

Lucy said...

Wow, what a garden. Needless to say, I won't be posting ANY pics of our garden this year. One word for it is SAD.
Dad put up the coolest fence for our tomatoes....but they probably don't really even need it :(

Bobbi said...

Amazing!! I am glad you won't be seeing the garden we helped mom and dad plant this year. Not so amazing.

Natalie May said...

You are awesome Cassie. As a teenager I always wanted to grow up and be the awesome gardener/chef that you are. I am pleased to say I am well on my way. Thanks Cassie.