Thursday, April 10, 2008

Is it me, or is it just hard?


Why is it so hard to start up an old habit? Not any old habit. A good habit. It isn't hard to restart bad habits like biting my nails, waiting till the last minute to get things done, or yelling at the kids. But to restart a good habit is nearly torture!

For over a year I went the gym regularly. It was just part of my schedule. Then something interrupted the routine and to get back on track has been nothing but trouble.
So this week I've decided that I have to give it another shot. I've read that it takes 28 days to get a habit embedded in your routine/schedule. I hope that applies to reembedding too.

So wish me luck, and good luck to any of you that might be trying to get back into a 'good habit' of something.

13 comments:

Nash said...

I think it takes just a straight week of going to the gym to get into the habit, but it's SO hard.
I have done it many times, and there isn't much to show for it.
(audrey's friend)

Audrey said...

Amen Sista! Very well put! See that must be my problem. I have never made excersing a habit but I WILL and hopefully soon! Good luck with that!! What a great facility and place you have to do it in too!

Becky said...

It is just plain stinkin' hard!

Becky said...

Oh, I guess I should have also added...but worth the fight, right? You've done it before, and you can do it again.:)

Lucy said...

I have thought that so many times. It seems like the same thing with family scriptures.....you miss one day, and it's like you've never done it before.
I just know that it's the DEVIL. He made us do it.

Becca's Blog said...

I read this book once called "If Life were Easy it Wouldn't be Hard"...okay, okay I didn't actually read it but I saw it for sale at Deseret Book and I think I basically got the main idea from the title. So yeah, if it was easy to keep our good habits then we wouldn't get joy from doing it. You know that "I'm so rad, I worked out today" feeling?...non-existant without pushing ourselves a little. Yay for getting back on track!

Miller Family said...

UGH! I'm the worst about this. Good luck to you. I hope someone can get back on track. I've not had much luck.

Bobbi said...

I think as time goes on, it gets harder and harder to form good habits & get rid of the bad ones. I keep telling myself in order to get up and exercise, I need to get to bed Early! So far, not so good. I am just too dang tired-and it's all my fault.

Becky said...

Working out is a hard habit to get going, but a good one!! In fact just tonight Toby and I looked at a exercise bike like your moms that had video games built in... The catch is you have to pedal or else it doesn't work!! Someone was thinking!! It had Tetris, blackjack, texas holdem'. I was sold we may have to go get it!!

LD said...

Hey, Cassie,
Your blog ressonated with me. I am struggling with getting the exercise habit too. In the past when I've done well, I've either had a goal, like a race, so I had to work out to save face or I've had a friend or friends counting on me to show up and following up when I didn't.
Currently, I seem to be letting all the excuses I can think up keep me from my exercise goal. I have the nursing baby excuse coupled with the I'm new to the area so I have no friends excuse added to the my boys sabotage me if I try to do it during the day excuse. Additionally, I don't know for sure when we will be buying and moving to our for real house, so I don't let myself sign up for any races just in case the race might be the weekend we end up moving.
Hope you are doing much better than I am. Good luck!
LucyBD

Battfam said...

Good luck getting in the routine again. They say you haven't failed until you give up trying. You're a winner! Go for it!

Anonymous said...

PUH-LEASE tell me those aren't your feet! You need a major Pedicure...no wonder you feel bad about yourself!
shelly

Cassie said...

Come on Shell, you might hurt Layne's feelings. (j/k I don't know who's feet they are)