Monday, July 14, 2008

See ya...Wouldn't want to be ya...

I feel like I ought to love it. I feel like I ought to enjoy it. I feel like I may be on the verge of treason because of my Idaho blood. TOO BAD! I don't like camping. I don't mind going up to the mountains and taking in the gorgeous views and breathing the fresh, pine air. I don't even mind if we stay for supper, but can we please go home to sleep in our beds and shower in our showers? My husband and children love camping, and so does my husband's family. So when we are in Idaho, during the summer, we usually end up in the beautiful Rocky Mountains for a couple days. While we are up in the Rocky's the kids are on cloud nine and my husband proudly brings back a string of fish to show me how manly he really is. I figure it is good for me do these things, now and then, for my kids.

Why am I talking about camping? Josie is leaving for Girls Camp tomorrow morning and she is so excited. She has been packed and ready to go for two weeks. She is going to have so much fun. I'm excited for her. The Girls Camp Program is a little different than it was 'back then', when I was in YW, and here we don't have mountains to trek into. They do have cabins, bunks, and a swimming pool to cool off in though. So maybe I ought not slam the whole camping thing till I try it the Ohio way first. Or maybe not.

I'm so happy that there are adults that love teenagers and camping and willingly accept the challenge of combining the two. Josie's leaders are a lot of fun and will make her first Girls Camp experience a wonderful one, I'm sure of it.

Have a fun time Josie! We can't wait to hear all about it when you get back.

10 comments:

Lucy said...

I feel responsible for your attitude towards camping. We never took you as a child, and I'm sure you thought that we didn't like it. To be honest, we never really tried it! That's what happens when you have work-a-holic parents, I guess. (our idea of camping was the Holiday Inn) Sorry about that, Cass.

Miller Family said...

The Ohio way is fun! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!! Wish I could have gone to Girl's Camp this year!

Becca's Blog said...

I'm with you Cassie...I love the great outdoors but I'm not a camper. I just don't like feeling dirty and I don't handle latrines very well. However if I can camp somewhere with flush toilets and at least a daily warm to hot shower then I love it. I don't mind sleeping in tents or smelling like smoke or getting a few mosquito bites...I just can't handle the latrines or lack of a shower part.

Anyway I hope Josie has fun. This is her first time, right? I have such great memories of girls camp even though I'm not a big camper...staying up all night, playing pranks, trying to hide from my leaders so I wouldn't have to go to flag ceremony,etc. Good times!

Becky said...

Cassie, Cassie, Cassie. I guess I really can't comment. Nothing anyone can say is going to change how you feel and that's okay, but...Girl's Camp in the D.O.E.S. is NOT CAMPING! Just thought I'd put that out there.

SHELLY said...

I did go camping as a child and loved it then (except the showering part) but we had an actual camper mobile. I hate the entire tent and bug thing and I'm proud to say that I stacked our hoards and hoards of cast iron cooking pans, tents, sleeping bags, coolers, etc and yard saled it all! The only thing I kept was one container for Brittany for girls camp with all the supplies in it she needs each year. See- there is another bonus to being married to a 60 year old man....hotels. I hated the bugs!!!! YUK.

Bobbi said...

I am NOT a camper either. I never even loved Girl's Camp all that much, but don't tell that to Josie. I hope she has a BLAST and makes lots of new friends!

Audrey said...

My favorite part of this whole post is the heading. The reason is cuz I can TOTALLY hear you saying it!
I think I like camping pretty good... not sure since we never went and we haven't lately either! I like a good excuse not to shower regularly.... and I am a sucker for smores and tinfoil dinners!
p.s. do NOT mention this to the Y.W. in our ward.... I don't like it enough to go with a bunch of giggling teenage girls!

Debbie said...

Joel loves to camp. I on the other hand can live without it. I like you, like my own bed. Why do you think we have the trailer. It is our camping compromise.

Becky said...

Josie... be nice to your leaders!! Tell them that you think everything is cool!!...
When Toby and I first got married I was assitant camp director one year and director the next!! It's like 6 months of planning for 1 crazy week!! I'm exhausted just talking about it!!

Battfam said...

This post brought back memories of my first girls camp experience at West Piney. Karen and her twin sister were our leaders. The main thing I remember was a bunch of us trying to talk them into letting us sleep in the trunk of a little blue car they had. We had seen a snake in our tent and were totally freaked out as only "Yearlings" can get. Great fun!