Saturday, July 19, 2008

You Scream *** I Scream


*** We all scream for ice cream!

A couple weeks ago Layne was assigned to bring homemade ice cream to the upcoming High Priest social (next weekend). At first I thought he was just kidding, but then I realized that he wasn't and that I needed to 'get my game on'.

We only think to bring out the ol' ice cream maker once a year, maybe, so I don't have a My Favorite Ice cream Recipe section in my box. So off to the Internet I went and my goodness, there are TONS of recipes for ice cream. Some that look yummy and some that really don't.

Needless to say, we've had more ice cream in our house these past several days than we have in years. We don't usually eat a lot of ice cream. That or I just don't think to buy ice cream. It isn't on my list of things I want to eat very often. But for now, Layne and the kids are in hog heaven.

Here is what I've learned:
1 - Ice is very cold.
2 -Yes, you can put too much chocolate in Chocolate Ice Cream.
3 - I don't hate Strawberry Ice Cream like I thought I did. (Still not my favorite though...vanilla rocks!)
4 - You can put most anything in ice cream.
5 - The ice cream mix packets at the store are pretty good.
6 - There are too many ice cream recipes in the world.
So, if you have a wonderful recipe that you think we ought to try, send it my way. And if you haven't made ice cream this summer don't let not owning an ice cream maker stop you. There are recipes on line that only require plastic baggies. Happy eating!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ice Cream
4 eggs
6 cups whole milk
4 cups heavy cream
1/2 t salt
2 t vanilla
2 1/2 c sugar
mix eggs, sugar, salt, vanilla add milk and cream freeze
I like to put fruit in blender with some of the milk. Huckleberry is wonderful. Raspberries are good too. Leave out vanilla if you add other things
Aunt Ellen

Becky said...

Oh my goodness - that picture alone stopped me in my tracks. Seems that I'm craving ice cream lately. LOL. Can't wait to taste what you come up with for Saturday.!

Becca's Blog said...

Homemade Huckleberry ice cream. Nothing beats that.

Becky said...

How fun!! I don't know if I've ever had homemade ice cream!! I'm probably too lazy... The closest I get to make your own is Cold Stone!!

Lucy said...

That Layne gets you into more stuff! But, I must say that homemade ice cream has always intrigued me. I wonder if we still have a little maker downstairs. I did it once with my cub scouts. Gotta go check. Sounds fun to me.
Thanks for the idea!!

hmmm said...

haha, that's funny--I clicked on this and was about to type "Ask Aunt Ellen." and then it opened up and that's the first thing I saw.... Huckleberry is quite wonderful.