Friday, February 20, 2009

They Turned On Me

Onions


Oh, how I love onions. I loved them sauteed, raw, roasted. I love cutting & chopping them. I love them in things. I love them on things. I even have an awesome recipe for a Balsamic Caramelized Onion Spread. YUMM-O! The possibilities are endless with that sweet & spicy preserve.

But, for the past couple days I've been trying to find 'that smell' in my kitchen. Today I found it. There were two past due onions in the pantry. I hate walking into the house and getting a whiff of something that isn't pretty.

Things are looking up here. Hope your weekend smells good!!

10 comments:

Becky said...

I know you love them, but.... they turned you on? That's how I read the title at first. Man I'm glad I looked closer and got it right. LOL.

Kim-may said...

oh yuck. i hate that too. i love onions too but i must need to wear gloves when handling them, bc the smell lingers on my hands for days, and everytime i get my hands near my face i make a gagging noise.

Bobbi said...

What do you spread the onion perserve one?? I am interested!

Lucy said...

I like onions, but I'm not sure I love them. Especially the ones at Fiesta Ole'. Let me tell you.....they stink! I brought a salad home last night, and Jay made me put it outside, the smell was so strong. (He's an onion hater by the way) Even though I've got him eating them in things now.

hmmm said...

nope.
not me.
i am a fan only when cooked and unrecognizable.

can't say that i've had onions go bad on me yet.... BUT i have had a bout with broccoli. talk about AWFUL! i can imagine onions being very much the same.

Cassie said...

I agree. Bad potatoes & bad broccoli are on top of the nastiest bad food list!

Bobbi - I might need to send you a bottle of the onion jam. (yes, I made enough to can last fall) It is good on sandwiches, in mashed potatoes, on eggs, German pancakes...the possibilites are endless.

Becky said...

I like onions... but not as much as Toby, he could eat one like an apple...YUCK!!
But I do have to say your spread sounds yummy... you might need to post the recipe!!

Millie and Me said...

Cassie remind me to tell you about the rotting potatoes with maggots on them under someones sink...and no it wasn't me. You are so funny!

Audrey said...

Onions? You and dad are two peas in a pod... NOT!
I had no clue you had such a passion for onions! Does your family appreciate them like you do? I have to be honest and say that I use to just CRAP if I saw them anywhere in my food but now that I have matured and grown out of my awkwardness.... I do enjoy the flavor. (NEVER, EVER raw or BIG or on my hands or on my burgers though)
You and Shrek would enjoy one another I think...

Cassie said...

Shrek! Yes, I think we could be good friends.