Friday, January 29, 2010

I love him, I love him not



Do you have a food that you just can't love?

Once a year, or so, I like to try foods that I know I don't like.  Just to make sure I haven't change my mind. 
(I didn't want to miss out on something good.)

The other day I noticed that there are a few things that USED to be on that list that I can't hardly get enough of now. 
Isn't it funny how your tastes change?

*I've changed my mind on* 
Sweet Potatoes
I love to roast these in the oven with a little bit of olive oil, drizzle of honey, and salt & pepper. 
Beets
I still don't love the greens, like Layne does, but in the past few years I've really grown to like the beet.  Pickled, steamed, or fresh.
Relish
I'm not sure this counts because I never hated relish, but I could totally go without and rarely used it.  Until my mom gave me a recipe from her friend Alice Worthen.  So worth making.
1/2 way to a Strawberry 
I'm not able to go 100% on this pretty little fruit.  It has to be fresh and in a perfect world it is eaten with other things.  But I still can't stand them smashed, squishy, or thawed out.
Fried Green Tomatoes
I found that you really need to have the right recipe for these.  After I found out how I liked them they are now on the new list.

*I still don't love and may never will*
Venison
Brussels Sprouts
Chili Beans
Baby Formula (j/k)
Collard Greens
Lamb
Goat
Mussels, Clams, Snails
Chocolate Chewies
Homemade Oreo's

Obviously this isn't a complete list. I'm guessing that for some items, if they were prepared differently/correctly I would like them. Or at least not gag on them.

But some of them I will never like and that is okay.

That said, there are so many things I haven't yet tried. 
So I don't know if I never liked them or not. 
I guess that is the fun part.

Try something new this week...
I dare ya. 

11 comments:

Mardi said...

funny - i just did last night. i steamed asparagus and covered it in hollandaise. not too bad. last time i tried it, i was in high school. it was so gross.

Becca's Blog said...

I bet you'd change your mind about lamb if you either had my dad grill you up a nice lamb chop or found a nice middle eastern friend to cook you some up.

I always thought I didn't like lamb until I ate it at my Palestinian friend's house. So, so good.

Lamb just has to be prepared right and also has to be less than one year old when it's killed. Sad, but true.

So, give it another chance!

But I totally agree on most the other things on your list...especially venison. Yuck!

Becky said...

Hmm...right now I think I'll stick with what I know I like, especially since I can't even stomach some of that depending on what kind of day I'm having!

Anonymous said...

Lamb is great!
I agree with you on brussel sprouts. They taste like dog poop smells! Aunt E

Battfam said...

Reading this post and the comments made me hungry for asparagus, fresh strawberries, lamb, sweet potatoes, and more. I was interested to see that you are not a fan of homemade oreos or chocolate chewies. Neither am I, but I thought I was the Lone Ranger on that.

Bobbi said...

Chocolate Chewies??? I just make them last night. Jared feels the same way as you on those.

Cassie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cassie said...

Becca & Aunt E - I've always thought that about lamb. I've got to get it done right. Maybe this will be the year.

Mardi - I now need to go to the grocery tomorrow because seeing the word asparagus made my mouth water. As a matter of fact, the first thing we did when we bought our land was plant some asparagus. We love it both steamed and grilled..drizzled with a little balsalmic vinegar, butter, salt & pepper. mmm mmm mmm

As for the cookies & chewies - I'm so glad I'm not alone on that one.

Becky - Your comment was just what I would have EXPECTED.

Lucy said...

I was just saying tonight that there aren't very many things that I don't like. I think I'm with you on the brussel sprouts, even though I've never tried them. I hate cooked spinach, because the lunch room when we were kids ruined it. I thought I hated pizza, because they ruined that, too. But, I love pizza...especially at the new place in IF called Lucy's pizza. I'm seriuos, too.

Lataun said...

oh no, I don't know if we can be friends anymore. seriously. I crave crave crave homemade oreos and I purposely don't buy the ingredients so that I can't make them, so that I don't eat the entire batch of them, because you know that one cookie is really like eating two cookies, which is really like eating twice the calories.

oh my goodness...this is going to take me a few days to digest (no pun intended). I'll get back to you on the "whole staying friends" thing. :)

Cassie said...

No, no, Lataun. You've got it all wrong. I see it as - me eating less of them makes more for you to enjoy. See, I'm always looking out for my loved ones.