Thursday, September 2, 2010

I Hate School

These are the lovely words I get to hear out of my soon to be six year old sons mouth.

I've never had a child hate school.
Especially five days into it.

But as I type these words I realize that I say that a lot about Justin.

"None of my other kids ever....."
"I don't know how to ..... with this kid."
"The other kids didn't......"
"Everyone did .... except for Judd."
"Who's kid is this?!"
(FYI-Layne confessed tonight that he had the same problem when he first went to school.)

Today the school nurse called me and said that Justin wasn't feeling good and couldn't stop crying.
Last night when I was putting him to be bed he told me that he cried a little at school.  I asked why and he just said, "Cause I was missing you".
So today when they called me I was going to tell him that he was going to have to stay at school, but he was crying so hard I couldn't even talk to him.  I couldn't imagine leaving him there for them to deal with.  So off I went. 

When we got in the car he asked if we could go to Taco Bell for lunch.
hummmm
Then he started singing the Months of the Year song.
hummmm
He pulled out his papers and showed me the paper he colored.
hummmm

I ask:
Justin, why did you tell me you were sick?
Judd:
I hate school.  I'm never going again.
I say:
Yes you are and why do you hate it?
Judd:
Quiet for a minute...because Mrs. Johns is mean.
I say:
No she isn't.  I know her and she is nice.
Judd:
Well, I just hate school and can you home school me?

**Sigh**

Even as we were going to bed tonight I realized we still have a problem.  Layne was having a discussion with him about how he needed to be a big boy and not call to come home from school and I got done telling him that I can't come get him tomorrow because I have a doctors apt (I get to have my first mammogram...now that could be an experience worthy of a post) and I wont be able to go get him.  He said that was okay because he wasn't going anyway.

**Grrrrr**

This child has always been determined and strong willed.  He has also always been a mamma's boy and a homebody.  But this isn't something he can win.  He's going to have to get used to going to school.  I've arranged things so that I'll be there a couple days a week for a couple hours to help out.  That way he would know that I wasn't too far away.  I'm guessing in about six years I'll wish I still had this problem with my Juddy-Bear.

Wish him luck.
Wish us all luck.

8 comments:

Becca's Blog said...

Don't worry. I used to get homesick at school and I turned out sort of okay. I got over it after the first little while. Other then when some kid would barf in the classroom and the janitor would come in with the pink powder...then I'd be homesick all over again. But don't worry, that only lasted through about the 5th grade. Justin will be just fine.

Lucy said...

We'll be checking to see if Justin made it to school tomorrow!
Do you remember you had some friends that had this problem....and maybe one sister. But her deal was the buggy kid that sat next to her.

Millie and Me said...

You know I think it is a little more about you Cassie. I think he is worried that you might need him right now and he wants to comfort you. I am not saying he is thinking this, I think you two have quite a bond and he may be subconsciously wanting to help you through this time. Let him know he helps you by going to school and being able to get see him get off the bus is a greater help then staying with you. I think it is interesting that he is your tough kid and yet displays such an empathic heart, it says a lot about how the spirit works I think. I love you Cassie and I hope you and your family are feeling comforted through this time.

Miller Family said...

Aww, Justin! It'll be ok. make sure you spend some time with Sariah at school. Maybe her utter excitement will rub off! P.S. I'm sorry if she's bossy and demanding...especially making you play "family" at recess =0) Hang in there buddy!!

Battfam said...

This too shall pass, probably. Working in his class will probably help him a lot. It worked for Lee. I do wish you all luck.

Becky said...

I'm a little surprised, but can ya blame the boy for preferring the comforts of home? Great picture, by the way. I think I'll be calling you later to see how the mammogram went. Scary!

Lataun said...

awww...it is really kind of sweet. Poor kid. I remember faking sick in the 5th grade so I could stay home. (Arizona) Good luck with this one...I have zero advice.

Familia Martinez said...

I am afraid that is what is going to happen with Ammon. You had better get it figured out so you can give me all the good advice. =) Crazy kids where do they come up with this stuff...oh yeah the same place we did when we were their age. Good Luck! Love you!