Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Mother Nature Said SLOW Down

This is how our town, and many others, have looked since last Friday
June 29, 2012 around 4:00 p.m.



 Normally I kind of enjoy sitting by the window and watching our big storms, but this storm was different.  In other words, this storm kind of scared me.  When we could no longer see out the window because of dust and debris and it started to sound like a freight train, Layne ushered all of us to the basement.


After it was over I went to check on some neighbors and take a peek in town.  I couldn't get very far into town because the roads were all closed because of fallen trees.  It is so sad to see great big, old trees snapped off and splintered.  Power poles were ripped out of the ground or broken in two.

Josie was in Lima and there was no cell service for a long while and so we were anxious to hear from her.  She held out inside a Texas Roadhouse. 


Remember how I said June went too quickly?  I guess Mother Nature decided to help take things down a notch (or two).  Our town has 95% of the electricity back on as of last night. (four days later) Most of the stores were closed for days because of no power and/or cash only.  Bigger cities still have a lot of people in the dark.  Can I just say that I L.O.V.E. our generator that Layne was able to just plug into an outlet and I could happily take a warm shower and not worry about the food in my fridge or freezer.  It isn't fun to go through a yucky situation like this, but it is good to see in what areas we are lacking (or doing well) in our emergency preparation.


The poor courthouse didn't fair as well.  The clock tower is damaged and it will take at least three months to get it down to fix.  They've had to move all of the courthouse comings and goings to other buildings in town.  What a pain.  The most often worry/complaint I've heard has been from people that do genealogy work and there are lots of documents and stuff like that in that building.  They are worried about getting access for the next few months.  Glad to know that work goes on strong in Logan County. 


But these guys are all safe and even the dumb dog made it though.  Our trees are still small so they fared well and the house stood strong and kept us safe.  That is all that matters.

4 comments:

Lucy said...

I'm sure glad I wasn't visiting during that storm. I'm probably not as calm as you guys....you know.
I love that picture of the kids by the way.

EB said...

I guess I live in my own little bubble. I've just been thinking about fires. I didn't realize you were in the middle of a mess. I'm so glad you were all safe.

Battfam said...

Scary! I'm glad everything is okay.

Becca's Blog said...

I'm kinda jealous of your storm...it sounds exciting. I must be bored.

I'm glad you have a generator. My friend who lives in Columbus was out of power for four days! You're lucky!