My short story of sopaipillas.
They will turn your frown upside down, any day.
Last Thursday I made some roll dough. I wanted to take some cinnamon rolls to a friend for Valentine's Day and have fresh rolls with our dinner.
Well, half way though preparing the dough I decided that I was sick.
Too sick to finish, even.
So, I got a pan of rolls ready to cook for dinner and put the rest of the dough in the fridge to finish the next day.
Well, I didn't really function the next day. Or the next.
So on Sunday afternoon I went to get another glass of grape juice and there was that dough. Still waiting for me to return.
In my book, three days is about all I give uncooked yeast dough. I don't like the smell and taste after that. Seems kind of fermented, or something. Anyone else agree?
Anyway, I hate, hate, hate wasting food.
Rolls (in any form) didn't sound good at all.
BUT sopaipillas, or fry bread, sure did.
It made a very nice, quick Sunday afternoon snack.
(and very happy kids)
Layne is out of town so we sent him a picture via cell phone just to make him jealous. He was.
Yes, after living away from Idaho & Utah for nearly 20 years I no longer call them scones, unless I am in Idaho or Utah. Why? Because that is the only place they call fried yeast dough, scones. Otherwise you'll get a lot of questioning looks. BUT if you say sopaipillas or fry bread they know exactly what you're talking about. So there you have it. Now you'll never look stupid if you aren't in Idaho or Utah. I've got your back.
2 comments:
Sopapillas is what they call them in Argentina. I saw the word and was like "hey, that's Spanish!" Anyway, your sopapillas look great.
I think the whole sopapilla/scone/fry bread thing isn't too confusing in Idaho because true scones aren't too common here so there's not too much confusion. The first time I was ever served a real scone I was surprised. I expected it to be like an Idaho scone, but they're way different. Both however are delicious...and that's what matters!
I didn't make fry bread, but my Mom did, and that's what she called it. I've tried "scones" twice and thought not too good. :)
Fry bread....real good.
Post a Comment